Buck scholars association
2nd annual retreat 2017: building the bsa
building the bsa
Last year, as the Buck Foundation closed its doors, we came together to celebrate the legacy of our scholarship experience and the beginning of a new, scholar-led community. A successful capital campaign raised funds to help a new generation of Northern CA students be college-ready.
This year, we come together outside Sacramento, in the Roseville area, to look forward to the future. As a community of scholars, we can continue our tradition of fabulous social bonding, while also helping to brainstorm alongside the amazing BSA mentors and leadership team.
Please join your fellow Buck Scholars build and strengthen the BSA. If you're free on July 15th, and in the Northern CA region, please consider making time in your schedules for fun, friends, and future (thinking)!
Can't wait to see all your shining faces! Please email us if you have any questions.
Coordinators: Duyen Bui (c/o 2006) firstname.lastname@example.org & Helena Lee (c/o 1999) email@example.com
July 14-16, 2017
- Friday night (optional): guests arrive, hotel check-in at Hyatt Place
- Saturday 8-10a: arrival and sign in, breakfast buffet included at Hyatt Place
- Saturday 10-2p: Folsom Lake fun in the sun with local taco chef. Bring swimsuit and sunblock!
- Saturday 3-5p: workshops and presentations in conference rooms at Hyatt Place
- Saturday 5:30p: walk to dinner at the Falls Event Center in Roseville, CA
- Saturday 5:30-7p: cocktail and brief welcome
- Saturday 7-11:30p: dinner, dancing, and photobooth
- Saturday 11:30p: walk back to Hyatt Place
- Sunday 8-10a: breakfast buffet included at Hyatt Place
- Sunday 10-noon: workshops and breakout sessions with BSA at Hyatt
- Sunday noon-2pm: lunch with Fellows, location TBD
Hyatt Place, Roseville
220 Conference Center Drive, Roseville, California, USA, 95678
While the retreat events are compliments of the BSA, there are hotel accommodations available for guests to book at a discounted rate.
- Click this link and input your arrival and departure dates. The group code should already be populated. The next page will display the group name, available room type, and rates.
- Call Reservations, either at the Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville, 916-781-6400, or toll free at 1-888-HYATT HP (492-8847). Ask for the "Buck Scholar Association" group block for July 14th-16th, 2017. You will need a credit card to guarantee the reservation, but no charges will be applied until you check-in.
Rate: $166 per night for double queen room with sofa sleeper, or king room with sofa sleeper) with a two night minimum. Parking, wifi, and breakfast are included. Link for booking at this discounted rate will be posted here -- we will update you shortly!
Sharing rooms: Please let us know below if you would like to room with another scholar (and specify if you know who!), and we will pair up and email you all so you can coordinate bookings.
Financial need: If you are in need of any financial assistance, please let us know below in the RSVP form with a brief description. The BSA can help get rooms for those who are currently students or recent grads (probably for Sat night). We will be considering all needs and would love to allow all scholars to join if possible!
***Rooms must be booked by June 30th***
Single night: If you are interested in just one-night, or would like to stay at another hotel in the area, please indicate below in the RSVP form and we will help find you the right place to stay!
What to bring
Swimsuits! Games! Bring your swimsuits for lake and hotel pool fun. We will also have lake and picnic activities, like kayaking potentially, so bring active wear as needed, and any picnic games are welcome.
Your kids! Family and friends! The weekend and venue are very kid friendly -- bring spouses, partners, friends, and family for a relaxing, summer weekend away from it all (but still a reasonable drive!).