How to Apply
The application process involves two recommendation letters, a completed application form, a copy of your high school transcript, and a personal interview for finalists.
- Determine if you meet the eligibility requirements and make a note of the submission deadline: March 31, 2018. This deadline applies to the completed application form, recommendation letters, and transcripts.
- Download* the recommendation form and ask for two recommendations. One must be from a teacher, the other can be from a teacher, counselor, school official, volunteer coordinator, employer, or community leader. Recommendations must be submitted as attachments by email to email@example.com by the deadline, using your name as the subject line of the email. Should your recommenders prefer to mail their completed form, they should email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
- Download* and complete the Buck Fellows application form.
- Remind your teachers of the submission deadline.
- Make a copy of your most recent high school transcript.
- Submit the completed application form, the copy of your transcript, and your recommendation letters to email@example.com or fax to (707) 449-8272.
Personal interviews will be offered to finalists shortly after the submission deadline. Recipients of the Buck Fellowship will be announced in early summer.
NOTE: You should be able to DOWNLOAD the recommendation and application forms via Google Docs. Do not request access to the documents.
- Live or attend school in Contra Costa, Napa, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Solano, or Yolo County.
- Be a high school sophomore.
- Submit a completed application, along with your transcript and two letters of recommendation by the application deadline.
You can demonstrate:
- A record of academic success and a desire for academic and intellectual challenges.
- Evidence of leadership, enterprise, and personal initiative.
- A commitment to succeed and improve your community.
- Personal resiliency, including the capacity to overcome adversity.
Note: Students whose parents did not graduate from college, or have limited English ability or limited financial resources, are especially encouraged to apply.
Application materials submitted by mail must be postmarked by the submission deadline. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for mailing address and instructions.
Email email@example.com with any questions or comments.